Recipe

[RECIPE] Vermicelli Bolognese with Chicken Katsu - Soya Learn to Cook

3/21/2015 Soya Yanagawa 0 Comments



My mom's Spaghetti Bolognese is my most favorite pasta dish in this whole world. Indeed, she is not a master chef, but she is a great chef for me. That is why I asked her to tell me how to cook the spaghetti Bolognese, so I can make it at my boarding house.

Once again, she is not a master chef, but everything that she cooked, taste so delicious for me. I have cooked this spaghetti bolognese for my friends, and THANKS GOD they love it (maybe it was because I gave them free meal) and the most important thing is, they didn't have any stomach ache. So, that is why I encourage myself to put this recipe on my blog. 

For this recipe, I will using vermicelli for the pasta, I just thought that vermicelli was cooked faster than spaghetti. 

FUN FACT
Thickness Comparison:
Vermicelli diameter between 2.08 and 2.14 millimetres
Spaghetti diameter between 1.92 and 2.00 millimetres
Vermicellini  diameter between 1.75 and 1.80 millimetres
Fidelini diameter between 1.37 and 1.47 millimetres
Capellini diameter between   0.8 and   0.9 millimetres  (known as "angle hair")
In the United States, the National Pasta Association, founded in 1904, that has no links with its Italian counterpart, the Unione Industriali Pastai Italiani, lists vermicelli as a thinner type of spaghetti. 
The Code of Federal Regulations of the United States of America defines "spaghetti" and "vermicelli" by diameter: 
Vermicelli diameter less than 1.5 m.
Spaghetti diameter between 1.5 and 2.8 mm


So, the vermicelli that I use was thinner than the spaghetti. Next, I added chicken katsu on the top of the pasta dish, as a matter of fact.. it is complementing each other and give more texture on the dish. But if you are in hurry, you can just enjoy the pasta

Well, let us start cooking!

---------------------------
INGREDIENTS
(For 2 portions)
---------------------------

- Bolognese- 

250g Dried Vermicelli (or Spaghetti).
250g Fresh Beef Mince.
250ml water
1/2 teaspoon Salt & Pepper
olive oil
125ml Tomato Sauce / Ketchup
1/2 Medium Onions, peeled and finely diced.
1 Cloves of Garlic, peeled and finely diced.
grated Parmesan Cheese,


- Chicken Katsu -

1 pair skinless, boneless chicken breast
 salt and pepper to taste
 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
 1 egg, beaten
 1 cup panko bread crumbs
 oil for frying




Chicken Katsu
Pound the skinless, boneless chicken breast into 2 cm thick.
Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper. 
Place the flour, egg and panko crumbs into separate container. 
Coat the chicken breasts in flour
Dip them into the egg
Coat into the panko crumbs until well coated on both sides.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Deep Fried the chicken around 3 - 4 minutes each side, or until golden brown.


Vermicelli Bolognese
You can use a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, and place it on a medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and gently fry the garlic and the onion. reduce the heat and add the ground beef.
Stir gently until the ground beef is getting brownish, pour the water into the pan, then reduce the heat into low-medium.
Add the tomato sauce (ketchup), salt, and pepper.
Wait until the water reduce and become thicker.
Meanwhile, add a pinch of salt and 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a pan of boiling water. (The cooking oil is to preventing the vermicelli become sticky and clinging). Cook the vermicelli until it is ready, and put it on the plate.
Pour the bolognese sauce on the top of the vermicelli, sprinkled the grated parmesan, and topped with the chicken Katsu.
The vermicelli Bolognese with Chicken Katsu is ready to served.




To tell you the truth, this is my first recipe that I have put it on my blog. Well, it's quite easy and quite tasty (for me). But to be noted, each ketchup's brand has their own characteristics. Some ketchup can be sweet, while the others tasted sour. But for me, I really love Delmonte's Ketchup. It has perfect balance of sweet and sour taste that really fit with my palate. 

Tell me your opinion about this dish on the comment box. but please don't be mean... Newbie here and just sharing this simple recipe....

Have a great day and Godspeed!

You Might Also Like

0 Comment: